Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Getting 406 Not Acceptable An appropriate represen... /tickets.php could not be found on this server

This the error I'm getting:

Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /tickets.php could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Thing is If I've had 5 or 6 replys go through without a problem, and yesterday I didn't have this problem.. seemed like everything was working great.

all staff/admin users are having this issue.

I'm not sure where to start with troubleshooting this, I just started using this software, if anyone has any ideas on settings that are involved  I will post them or check them and report back.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Comments

• edited June 2014
    I have never actually seen a 406 error before.  But a quick google pointed me to:

A client (e.g. your Web browser or our CheckUpDown robot) can indicate to the Web server (running the Web site) the characteristics of the data it will accept back from the Web server. This is done using 'accept headers' of the following types:

• Accept: The MIME types accepted by the client. For example, a browser may only accept back types of data (HTML files, GIF files etc.) it knows how to process.
    • Accept-Charset: The character sets accepted by the client.
    • Accept-Encoding: The data encoding accepted by the client e.g. the file formats it understands.
    • Accept-Language: The natural languages (English, German etc.) accepted by the client.
    • Accept-Ranges: Whether the client accepts ranges of bytes from the resource i.e. a portion of the resource.

Fixing 406 errors - general

This error occurs very infrequently in Web browsers, because most browsers will accept any data returned from the Web server.

If the client is not a Web browser, then anyone can only investigate the problem by looking at the Accept headers generated by the client system and the data stream returned by the Web server. If you do not have access to the source code for these systems, the only thing you can do is refer the problem to technical support people at the companies that developed the systems.

quote source: http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E406.html

I would check the mime types that you have on your server first.
  • Thanks ntozier, 

I logged into my cpanel (godaddy) and checked MIME Types under Advanced.

There are no user-configured MIME types.

It does have a long list below that statement

of System MIME Types

would you like for me to copy/paste that list?

• I would look and make sure that there is a mime type on how to handle .php files.  I would also contact GoDaddy and tell them what the problem you are having is, and ask them how to fix it.
  • Thanks so much, ntozier
    I really mean that, as I've been looking through these boards for reference since installing this program,
    and found so many reply's that were helpful.

Here are ones in the List referencing php

application/x-httpd-php  php php3 php4 php5 php6
    application/x-httpd-php-source        phps

I contacted godaddy first thing this morning. even though they were helpful, they were unfamiliar with the issue and could not point me in a direction to further troubleshoot.

It hasn't happened with every ticket, in fact the past ten or so tickets created by a customer or myself has gone through fine, working great like yesterday. 

• I try to help when I can. :)  Sadly I've never actually seen the error that you reported.  If you don't see it again maybe it was wrong thing with the server.  I'll leave this thread open for now and hopefully if someone else has seen this they will chime in and feed us all their knowledge. :)
  • I'm seeing it again consistently now, I'm not ruling out something wrong with the server. If the elders of the internet deem it so, then there shall be someone who will chime in with such knowledge for all of us to feast upon. Until then we wait...

=)
  • As a side note I did pig the devs to take a look at this thread because maybe they have seen/heard of this sort of thing.  Can you post the contents of Admin panel -> Dashboard -> Information into the thread for me please?
  • Sure thing, each of the PHP Extensions below are checked.

osTicket Version v1.9.1 (0e29c8d)
    Server Software Apache mod_fcgid/2.3.10-dev
    PHP Version 5.4.26
    MySQL Version 5.5.36

PHP Extensions
    gdlib Used for image manipulation and PDF printing
    imap Used for email fetching
    xml XML API
    xml-dom Used for HTML email processing
    json Improves performance creating and processing JSON
    gettext Improves performance for non US-English configurations
    mbstring Highly recommended for non western european language content

Database Usage
    Database Space Used 2.05 MiB
    Database Space for Attachments 0.00 MiB
  • I'm not sure how helpful this may be, But here is an observation that I've made regarding this issue.  I decided to come share after I was able to replicate the issue on my coworkers system.
    ------------------------------------------------Reply would be as Follows-------------------------------------------------------
    testing

-FriendlyOne 
    -----------------------------End of Reply--------------------------------
    That will Give me The error most of the time. If I try again using the browser back button then click reply (note: some text may be missing from the auto draft) I get the same error.  and if I click reset and retype the reply I still get the error.

Now, if I take out the Space so that the reply is like the example below
    -----------------------Reply would be as Follows---------------------------------------------------
    testing
    -FriendlyOne 
    -----------------------------End of Reply------------------------------
    Goes through no problem 

=) 

• Error type "406 Not Acceptable" may be caused by mod_security rules. Ask your web hosting provider to help you troubleshoot this issue by either fine tuning the rules which are triggering the error 406 or by including your name in a whitelist to bypass mod_security temporarily or permanently.

Good luck :)
  • Hi, 

I'm being hosted by godaddy and had this issue since day 1 (using the latest version already)

was this ever resolved by calling godaddy tech support? thanks
  • Hi, 

I'm being hosted by godaddy and had this issue since day 1 (using the latest version already)

was this ever resolved by calling godaddy tech support? thanks
  • I am having the same issue. Just switched to GoDaddy and installed a brand new installation of osTicket 1.9.3.
  • Since this is obviously not an osTicket issue, I suggest to get in touch with GoDaddy support to find a solution.
  • edited August 2014
    I have the same issue too, the hosting supporto told me that is a software problem!
    I have upgrade the software too without problem  but the problem persist..

any idea?? Is possible it si a permission problem of file osticket.php??

Help please!

Upgrade..

I have received this email ...is connected with this problem

db error #1146

[ SELECT id FROM ost_content WHERE `type`='banner-staff']

Table 'informat_osticket.ost_content' doesn't exist<br />
    <br />
    ---- Backtrace ----<br />
    #0 (root)/include/mysqli.php(169): osTicket->logDBError('DB Error #1146', '[ SELECT id FRO...')<br />
    #1 (root)/include/class.page.php(218): db_query(' SELECT id FROM...')<br />
    #2 (root)/scp/login.php(22): Page::getIdByType('banner-staff')<br />
    #3 {main}

http://www.informaticadoc.com/osticket
  • I called GoDaddy as well and they said the same thing... That it is a software problem and they can't help that the development team of osTicket would be the ones to take care of it.

I feel like I'm getting the run around on this one. Does any one have any clue how to fix this?
  • edited October 2014
    ntozier, this link you posted points to this thread....

I am having the same issue though if anybody has any ideas.

The only time it happens is when the text entered the "Post Reply" tab's textbox has multiple paragraphs(more than one return).  It's exactly as FriendlyOne described when he talked about reproducing the error on a co-worker's computer.

Not sure how this isn't a OSTicket issue, but I would love to find out how to fix it either way. :/

I would assume that since using the same exact text that doesn't work in the "Post Reply" tab, to fill in the text box in the "Post Internal Note" tab works just fine, that it would have to be an OSTicket issue.  I could be wrong about that though.

I have tested this on 2 installations of OSTicket that were installed using the "Installitron" tool for godaddy webhosting accounts and the results are the same.  Has anybody had this happen on a non-godaddy based server?  I would be really interested to know if this is specific to godaddy users or if it's an all-around issue.

Edit:

Just realized this thread has 490 views, so I'm guessing it's a common issue.

Also, here are some server details:

Godaddy web hosting account.

Server Information
    osTicket Version v1.9.3 (bba9ccc)
    Server Software Apache mod_fcgid/2.3.10-dev
    PHP Version 5.4.31
    MySQL Version 5.5.36
    PHP Extensions

gdlib Used for image manipulation and PDF printing

imap Used for email fetching

xml XML API

xml-dom Used for HTML email processing

json Improves performance creating and processing JSON

gettext Improves performance for non US-English configurations

mbstring Highly recommended for non western european language content

phar Highly recommended for plugins and language packs
    PHP Settings

cgi.fix_pathinfo = 1 "1" is recommended if AJAX is not working
    Database Usage
    Database Space Used 3.70 MiB
    Database Space for Attachments 0.85 MiB

• "I would be really interested to know if this is specific to godaddy users or if it's an all-around issue."

I just scanned this thread and it appears that everyone who posted in this thread is using GoDaddy.  I still think that this is because people are running afoul of GoDaddy's mod_security rules.  But since I do not have a GoDaddy account to setup a copy of osTicket I cannot confirm that.  You would need to call GoDaddy, look at their mod_security logs for your site and see if you are hitting one of their rules.  Then talk to them about how to bypass said rule.  If you have access to view your Apache logs you may see an error that could help us diagnose or even point you in another direction, but thus far no real [webserver, not PHP] error message has been provided by anyone who has participated in this thread.

That being said some people were experiencing a semi-similar issue with HostGator and had good luck contacting their support to edit the mod_security.

• Thanks ntozier.  I contacted Godaddy last night and maybe it's because I'm not as familiar with PHP, but would you happen to know where this setting would be located?  It is a php setting, correct?

The support guy I talked to last night said that there was no mod_security settings? (I was trying everything that has been mentioned in this thread).  Maybe I need to speak with someone at godaddy who knows a bit more..

I will try to get some error logs and I'll get them posted tonight(I work nights, so it will be a couple hours before I can do it).

Thanks again!
  • It's not a PHP setting.  Its a web server (Apache) mod, called mod_security.  Which allows hosts to add security rules (think like a firewall).
  • edited October 2014
    10-4.

I'm going to call support again and get this figured out.

I'll post my findings here for other people once I get it figured out.

The 1 thing that doesn't really make sense to me is why everything else seems to work..  I mean, I can do the same thing in the "Post Internal Note" tab and it works just fine.  Any insight on this?  I'm definitely going to check out the mod_security settings, but that just seems odd.

Thanks!
  • Hi pyoung, any updates so far please on what fixed this issue for you? image
  • We decided to stop using OSTicket because we couldn't figure out how to get it working with godaddy.

• I've the same issue yesterday and this morning in about 30 minutes eHost Support resolved me the problem.
    The guy told me that the problem was that the domain has to be whitelisted itself to resolve the 406 error Not Acceptable!
    Hope you can try to say that to godaddy support pyoung, otherwise with eHost the issue is easy solved.
    Hope this can help other people who experience that error.

Bye

Michele