Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Migrating accross servers from 1.9 to 1.10

Hey everyone, I've been trying to do this for the last few days and have not been able to get it to work.

I am attempting to migrate an osTicket install from server A, serving osTicket 1.9 on domain A to server B which is supposed to run 1.10 and serve it to domain B. I can't mess with server A beyond getting a dump of the database, and the contents of the install folder.

I have run into all kinds of errors and I've started from scratch by far too many times, so I am not even requesting help with a particular issue anymore, I would just like to know how you would go about this.

I'm running PHP 5.6 currently because some mentioned that 7.0 might be causing issues, but I always tried with both. MySQL 5.7, if it matters.

Thanks in advance, any help would be much appreciated :)
Tagged:

Comments

• In a nutshell (without a lot of the how) do this:

1. Export the DB on server A.

2. Grab a copy of your osTicket folder (and all sub folders) on server A.
    3. Import the DB on Server B.
    4. Create the user in the db, grant it permissions on the DB.
    note: this should be the same username/password as the old installation.  If you do not know what that is consult your /include/ost-config.php file.
    5. Create the web site on Server B. (for whatever webserver you are using Apache or IIS)
    6. Test and make sure that the web site works (by going to it).  Also check permissions on the folder.
    7. Restore the files from step 2 into the new web site that you made.
    8. Check permissions on the files that you just restore.
    9. Test and make sure that the web site works (by going to it).

• edited December 7
    @ntozier

Thanks for the response!

So the change in domains does not matter? I pretty much followed your steps quite some times already but I am still getting errors, or just a blank page. I'll try one more time.

• Q: So the change in domains does not matter?

A: Once the system is up and running you would log into the admin panel and update the domain.  Alternatively you can edit this in the ost_config before you do the DB export.

"I am still getting errors, or just a blank page"
    What errors?
    A blank page is most of the time a PHP error.  You should check your PHP error log and see what's going on.
  • @ntozier

Sorry, I worded that wrongly/inaccurately; in the past, as I was trying to migrate, I read a lot of posts on here and got to a similar list of things to do as you posted, but still got errors. 
    I can't access any of the VMs right now, but I'll be sure to try again once I can and will post back with results.

Thanks again for your help with this.
  • @ntozier

Sorry to bother you so much, but I have another question:

>note: this should be the same username/password as the old installation.  If you do not know what that is consult your /include/ost-config.php file.

Is this required even when I edit my includes/ost-config.php file on server B? Server A uses the root SQL user and I'd rather not do that.
  • No worries.

If you do not use the same username/password then you need to edit the /include/ost-config.php to use the new username/password that you setup.  Either way it's imperative that you grant permissions for the new user to the DB.
  • @ntozier

Right, good to know, my thanks.

And just to confirm I got you straight, I should just setup 1.10 on server B, migrate the database from server A running 1.9 to database B (which is a completely empty DB), and then copy the old files over the 1.10 files? I admit I am a bit confused, as that doesn't really make sense in my eyes.
  • Do this:

1. Export the DB on server A.
    2. Grab a copy of your osTicket folder (and all sub folders) on server A.
    3. Import the DB on Server B.
    4. Create the user in the db, grant it permissions on the DB.
    note: this should be the same username/password as the old installation.  If you do not know what that is consult your /include/ost-config.php file.
    5. Create the web site on Server B. (for whatever webserver you are using Apache or IIS)
    6. Test and make sure that the web site works (by going to it).  Also check permissions on the folder.
    7. Restore the files from step 2 into the new web site that you made.
    8. Check permissions on the files that you just restore.
    9. Test and make sure that the web site works (by going to it).

Once your done doing that and it works.  Then you would follow the instructions for upgrading to the next version.  Which in a nut shell you've already done most of, so you would:
    1. make a back up of the new DB
    2. copy the 1.10.1 files over the old ones
    3. run the upgrader (which happens automagically when you log into the SCP).

Upgrade instructions from 1.9 to 1.10 are here: 
    http://www.tmib.net/upgrading-osticket-19x-current-110