osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now
Ajax form assign ticket doesnt work because of failed template info
I've just started using osTicket, and my current install has a problem with the ajax field for claiming and reassigning tickets.
See the image, the ajax field is empty.
I started digging into the problem, and seem to have the same issue as someone on github.
Some server info in the attached screenshots.
|osTicket Version||v1.10 (901e5ea) — Up to date|
|Web Server Software||Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu)|
Which has a dirty fix, see screenshot.
This (dirty) fixes the issue, but i am still wondering what i might have missed or how to properly correct the issue.