Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

[resolved] Set up IMAP fetch not to delete mail

Hello, 
we installed latest stable version of osticket and outgoing communication is working fine. 
Now i'd like to set up a mail fetch , reading through forum i concluded that default action after mail fetch is to delete it. 
Would it be possible for osticket to fetch mail, mark it as read and create ticket without deleting the email itself?
Also, would such a read e-mail initiate creating of new ticket on each fetch ?  I'd like to circumvent that. 
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Q: Would it be possible for osticket to fetch mail, mark it as read and create ticket without deleting the email itself?

A: Yes.  But it is not advised. Not doing something with the email means that if something happens to the tickets or if osTicket gets confused it can re-fetch the messages and create new tickets for them. If you don't want to delete them then I would recommend that you move them to a sub folder.

Q: Also, would such a read e-mail initiate creating of new ticket on each fetch ?

A: Huh?
  • Hi ntozier , 
    Thank you for your reply. 
    Pardon my wording in second question, you answered it above: if anything bad happens with osticket db or my mail server all my e-mails that were marked as read would be imported in again, as new tickets.

Back to original question: 
    my mail account that is planned to be attached to osticket is already in use, and old e-mails are already in subfolders. If i am reading it right, osticket will pull only emails from root folder of the mailbox ? 

Also, where does the documentation describe process of configuring email fetch to delete/mark_read the emails ? I found nothing in http://osticket.com/wiki/POP3/IMAP_Setting_Guide .

Once again, thank you for your time !

• Q: If i am reading it right, osticket will pull only emails from root folder of the mailbox ? 
    A: Correct!

Q: Also, where does the documentation describe process of configuring email fetch to delete/mark_read the emails ?
    A: It's not very verbose because that documentation is really old, but bullet 4 of the page you linked touches on it briefly.

In the current version you would go to: Admin panel -> Emails -> Emails -> the email you want to configure.
    Scroll down to: 
    Fetching Email via IMAP or POP
    The area entitled: Fetched Emails
    More documentation for this feature is located in the help ? to the right.

Side note: We've been deleting the emails for over 5 years. :)  No regrets doing so yet.

• Thank you ntozier  for a complete and understandable answer. 
    My issues are solved.
    Decision to keep old e-mails is Management's and i have no saying in it ( till things break).

• Very welcome. 

I'll mark this as resolved and close the thread.  If you have another question, comment, etc please feel free to start a new thread.
This discussion has been closed.