osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now
I've been having an issue with tickets lately. Sometimes I get a ticket that says (empty) but when I check the mailbox, the email actually has some text. This also happens to ticket responses from the user. More example, I get a new ticket and everything shows just fine, but when the use replies to the ticket, it shows (empty). As I said this happens sometimes.
Here is a screenshot from my server and PHP information:
I've searched for troubleshooting and the only thing I found was enable forms. My forms are enabled.