Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

e-mail notifications

Hi,

it worked but stopped few weeks ago: e-mail notifications on new activities in tickets.

Agents receive e-mail notification on new tickets - works like charm.
Agents receive e-mail notification on internal messages.
Agents don't receive e-mail when customer replies to an existing ticket.

In settings - tickets - notifications everything is activated in this section.

Any ideas?

Many thanks and KR
Matthias
Tagged:

Comments

• Please help us to help you by reading and following the posting guidelines located in this thread: Please read before requesting assistance.  The more information you give us the better we will be able to assist you. Thank you.

You have not provided any information regarding what version of osTicket, PHP, MySQL, etc.
  • sorry...please find more detailled information below:

osTicket-Version v1.10 (901e5ea)
    Aktuell
    Server-Software Apache/2.2.31 (Unix) mod_fastcgi/mod_fastcgi-SNAP-0910052141
    MySQL-Version 10.0.30
    PHP-Version 5.6.30
  • Your updated information doesn't tell us how you have email configured.
  • I use the e-mail function from PHP...
    e-mails are sent through a smarthost...

THANKS!
  • Can you setup SMTP and see if the problem goes away?
  • Can you check your email logs then? Where is the backlog?
  • Hi,

@ntozier
    unfortunately, same result :/

@Grizly
    could you please tell me where i can find the email logs?
    what's backlog?

thx
  • If it's the same, then it's possible that is a simple checkbox missing. I've got a check in New Message Alert for "Assigned Agent/Team", you?

But what I meant by backlog was perhaps your email server wasn't able to send them, so it might be queuing them.
  • hmmmm ok but would be very strange if just the notifications on edited tickets couldn't be sent.

attached a screenshot, is that what you meant with the checkboxes? I think they are all set correctly...

thx
    osticket.PNG
    970 x 856 - 51K

osticket.PNG
    970 x 856 - 51K
  • You've got more on than I do!

That is weird. 
  • edited September 7
    Have you checked if the agents email addresses are also listed in the user directory?
    If agents have addresses on both sides there happen "weird" things..
  • So this caught my attention... "if just the notifications on edited tickets couldn't be sent."

You do realize that there is no Agent specific "ticket edited: alert.
  • @mfelber
    there are users with the same name but different e-mail adresses. this is caused by test-mails sent from my private mail-account etc.

@ntozier
    sure there is a notification on updated tickets (it even worked in the past). if not you would have to control everytime in the ticket system if maybe one ticket has been updated by customer or not...that's not practicable ;)
  • @lama 
    My point is that:
    There is no notification for EDITING a ticket. Editing a ticket was introduced in 1.10.
    There is a notification for activity (updating a ticket).
    And based on the quote from your reply I'm not sure whats not working for you.
  • @lama
    Same names are not a problem. My experience is that only same email adresses on both sides (user/agent) can cause problems with notifications.
  • @ntozier
    sorry...to make it clear...i need information if a ticket is updated. same in this ticket here...if you write anything, I'll get an email notification that someone responded.
    I get a notification if a new ticket is created, then I answer the ticket and if the customer answers again I don't get a notification.

@mfelber
    ok so then that's not causing the problem :/
  • edited September 7
    @lama
    Could it be that you disabled the "Claim on Response" setting:

According to your settings only agents or teams which are assigned to the ticket will get the "New Message Alert" also the "Last Respondent" and the "Departement Manager". 

If you disabled the "Claim on Response" setting this would at least explain why some of the agents would not receive this alert, but you as "Last Respondant" and the "Departement Manager" should still get this type of alert.

There are other settings that could override the notification setting like here:

and here:

But this settings are not for a special type of alert and would not explain why only this type of alert will not be sent to your agents. On the other side: maybe this settings are not working correct. I have seen myself that some type of alerts will still be sent although I disabled the setting at department level.

Hmm, this is really not easy..
  • @mfelber
    thanks for your reply...I checked the settings and they are all ok! It's really weird that just those notifications aren't working. Would it be possible, that the form template for those notifications is corrupt?
  • edited September 7
    @lama
    I could imagine. Try to replace it (change the whole content of the template and save it again).
  • I have the same problem as you. Did you manage to solve it ?
    Thanks.
  • @mfelber
    I tried to use the default templates but without success :/
    any other ideas?
  • Right now, all I can think of is that spam rules or modified osticket files are causing this affect.
    Do you have checked spam filters or have you modified osticket?

Do you have "Mailer Error"-entries in the "System Logs"-section of osticket?
    For example when the php mail function isn't able to send an email I see log entries there like this one:

Mailer Error
    Unable to email via php mail function:"Tom Reagon" mail() returned failure
    Log Date: Mo., Sep 11 2017 12:40 nachm. IP Address: 192.168.178.20
  • @mfelber
    i changed agents e-mail adress to another one on a different mailserver - same problem. i think this isn't a spam filter issue.

modified osticket - not really. just did some individual settings through web interface (i think what everybody does).

no mailer error entries...
  • edited September 11
    @lama
    I think in osTicket are no more options to find this problem.

You said you are sending mails through a smarthost.
    Maybe you can find there something helpful..