Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

How to get the most out of forms..

Hi,
So custom forms.. I'm unsure how to recycle information that they receive. If I create my own unique variables do they get created in a table in the DB somewhere?  

Am I correct in thinking that the custom form is just a means to populate a ticket with information in a known format?

Comments

• Q: If I create my own unique variables do they get created in a table in the DB somewhere? 

A: Yes.

Q: Am I correct in thinking that the custom form is just a means to populate a ticket with information in a known format?

A: Yes.  We often use custom fields to get more information on an issue based on the help topic the user picks.  Example: If they choose Help Topic: Printers, we ask for the Make, Model, and Location of the printer.
  • So can the custom variable I have created be used in emails ?
    %{Custom_Variable} because that isn't working for me. Is there are base variable for custom variables? 
  • I've created custom form for a help topic  say Printer Support, added Brand and Model . Just an example.

But how do make it appear in Open/ Closed Ticket View ? So that this information become useful when i export the listing to CSV/ EXcel I'll know which brand and model breakdown most?

Basically I just want my added field in custom form to appear in open/closed Ticket listing instead of the default
    Ticket
    Date
    Subject
    From
    Priority
    Department

Thanks
  • @Mart
    Q: So can the custom variable I have created be used in emails ?
    A: Yes you can.

Q: Is there are base variable for custom variables?
    A: Yes.  %{ticket.YOURVARIABLE}  where YOURVARIABLE is what you used int he variable field for your var in Admin panel -> Manage -> Forms -> Ticket Details

Additionally (I'm not sure if they work yet but it's intended that) company information be available via %{company.YOURVARIABLE} and user/client information via %{ticket.user.YOURVARIABLE}.  Last I checked in 1.9.1 the later two were not working.  I'm not sure if they got fixed for 1.9.2 or 1.9.3.

@myjpkl
    Please do not try to hijack other peoples threads (especially when its completely off topic of the conversation).  Feel free to start your own thread, but I will simply point you to:  http://osticket.com/forum/discussion/75457/a-better-ticket-list
  • edited January 2017
    I have 1.9.14 and I have created a canned response trying to grab variables gathered from custom forms

%{ticket.YOURVARIABLE} appears in the posted canned response as just that -  the text '%{ticket.YOURVARIABLE}'

Is this working in 1.9.14?

• Or do canned responses not support user variables?

• @ntozier - Can you offer any thoughts on my query -  do canned responses support user variables?
  • I have several canned responses that have things like the users name in them (specifically %{ticket.name}).  Last I checked they worked (note I have not confirmed this on 1.10) and I have not tried to use custom variables from forms in my canned responses.