Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Department/help topics modification

Is it possible to have it ask which department, and then ask the help topic, and only display help topics for that department?

Comments

• There is no way to do that at this time.  It works the other way around.  Help topics determine which department a ticket is sent to.
  • We need this too.  On the staff side there are too many help tops for internal issues and if it filtered by department it would be so so so so much better.
  • Any ideas on over coming the perceived view here that this is an inherent flaw in the system?  Upper management has this notion that this is a standard function of other ticket systems and the fact that ost doesn't do it, makes it is worthless.  I'm at a loss. :'(  *smh*
  • This is probably gong to sound horrible, but let them know that you will be happy to add upper management as a selection in the drop down so that people can file their issues directly with them instead of the department that they represent. ;)

Seriously though, it really seems like big business has been moving towards more control and less user input over all for the past decade (okay so longer).  It feels to me like they would be making a big leap backwards by allowing people to dictate what department a ticket is going to be assigned to.
  • jlojlo
    edited July 2014
    LOL, I can definitely appreciate that.

Our issue is that for our internal issues we have literally 40+ help topics.  So it's an ease of use/esthetics kind of thing.  Instead of seeing a 40+ item drop down of the help topics, if it were filtered it would be less cumbersome.  Our internal staff know what department their ticket is supposed to be in.

This is strictly for "private' internal issues not "public" ones.  There is no way we would let an end user select the department and we only have a few very broad help topics public facing.
  • That makes sense.  I haven't really played with it yet, but are you using new nested help topics?  You could set the top level public, and the subs private.  Like:

General Support 
    General Support / Printer Install
    General Support / VOIP Setup

which would be:
    Public
    Private
    Private

I think that this might make it so that you can use help topics in a similar way to how you seem to want to.
  • That is basically how I have it setup now.  Which is good for the public facing page where there is no department choice.

If the filtering could be added to scp that would be great.  Maybe an admin choice for those that don't want staff picking dept.  I appreciate your consideration!
  • i have so many departments and their respective issue.

IT support
    IT support / Printer
    IT support / Outlook

Hub ops 
    Hub ops /
    Hub.....
    Bsg support /
    ECTG support /

User should select department eg. "It support" and drop down list shows of it support.
  • I cordially disagree.  Most users have no idea where a ticket should actually end up in a multi department setup with many...  Or they will think that they are smart and pick the one that they think will get them the fastest resolution.  obfuscating the department and basing it on what the actual problem is (Help Topic) is a much more elegant solution, and one you should probably implement.
  • I have to both agree and disagree with you ntozier.

First, you are correct, people not familiar with the system will question where they should be going to solve an issue and this is a danger of selecting the department.

Abuse or attempting fast resolution will happen regardless.  The only way to avoid that is to simplify topics as much as possible.

However, it's not always that simple.  There will be times when the reverse will be preferred.  And that's highly individualized.

If the support ticket system is for general users, yes help topic only.  If it's internal, it could go either way.

I'm only trying out osticket but the staff here have already indicated they hate seeing all 50 forms in one big list.  They want to select the department because that's how we train them and it's what they're used to.
  • jlojlo
    edited August 2014
    Thats exactly what I am dealing with Levi.  It's only internal issues.  We only have a couple very broad public facing help topics and a TON of internal help topics.

It's not like staff can not choose a department anyway....it's a required field and it's ON TOP of the Help Topic when opening a new ticket in scp....seems very obvious to me to have the help topic options filter by the department you just picked....but I'm just a rube so...  :)
  • Hi rabia/jlo,

this is actually the key feature of osT+ - an osTicket mod we've created (see announcement thread here).

You can create customer input forms and each form would have a list of associated help topics so only those are shown in the dropdown box.
    Furthermore, you can allocate that list of topics to a given department to achieve the functionality you are after. See our tutorial how to set it up here:

Individual input forms can be then included on various pages or even websites and all enquiries will be sent to a central admin location. Subsequently they are to responded by relevant staff associated with a given department the ticket is assigned to.

You can see more tutorials and download osT+ from our website.

Note, osT+ is a modified version of osTicket with extra features added, however independent from development efforts of the osTicket team. It's free to use, no strings attached.

Regards,
    Sebastian
  • I cordially disagree.  Most users have no idea where a ticket should actually end up in a multi department setup with many...  Or they will think that they are smart and pick the one that they think will get them the fastest resolution.  obfuscating the department and basing it on what the actual problem is (Help Topic) is a much more elegant solution, and one you should probably implement.
    @ntozier
    Funny, here at our company it's totally different. Nearly all (expect some new colleagues who just started) know which department / person they need to ask, when they have a problem/request. So when there would no selection of the department in the help topic, they would somehow be confused and complain about that!

I / We know that's not the intention of how it was designed to used / should be used, but I guess for some companies it's exactly what they want / need.
  • Nope.  Client side is not the problem.  It's the staff side that's the issue.
  • Hi. I am able to segregate help topics in multiple combos.But there is an issue with client side private topics. Client is able to view all help topics, i.e, public and private. I tried to change /include/client/open.inc.php and /include/class.topic.php but it crashes.

Please suggest.
  • I'd suggest not modifying files if you aren't a programmer mate, hard to help because we can't replicate what you're changing.

I'd suggest putting the files back to default, then maybe opening a new thread, this one is ancient.