Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

What's with the invisible website?

Why has OSTicket made their website even more impossible to read? What's with all the ridiculously light text on a white background? Why bother putting horizontal lines and backgrounds which are so light as to be almost invisible? When is this stupid trend going to end? Why can't web designers think for themselves, and stop copying the worst designs of others?
You do realise that the OSTicket website now contravenes the Disability Discrimination Act, by making your site as hard as possible for partially sighted to read, for no good reason?

Comments

• Are you talking about osTicket application, osticket.com website or the forum? 
  • I'm talking about the website and the forum. I didn't mention the application.
    Even Google have done it now - their search results are now in #545454 text on a white background- how original of them.
    I am sick of looking at websites as if I am looking through a mist. Just look at this forum - under my username it says "
    in Suggestions and Feedback FlagQuote"

but the text is #CCCCCC! Can you believe the stupidity of whoever designed this? It's literally almost invisible.
  • Sounds like you're mad at the world then! 
  • Yes, well done. Brilliantly argued.
    I see that you totally ignored the fact that you are BREAKING THE LAW. There are hundreds of millions of people with macular degeneration and other caused of partial sightedness, apparently you don't want them to be able to use your product and website.
    This site is beyond a joke, the designer is a brainwashed idiot of the first order, who would rather make the entire site completely invisible, than admit they are wrong. The text here is CLEARLY too light, it's impossible to see.  You can't even read the last line of my previous post, because it took on the font color of the ridiculously light text from this very page, that I quoted.
    So Peter, are you responsible for this? Care to explain to your partially sighted users why you did it? You don't actually KNOW why, that's the problem. You blindly copy other idiotic 'designers' who couldn't care less whether people can actually read anything on your site. Good luck with that. Your arrogance is astounding.
  • This is how mad this stupid meme has got: one of the very websites which are supposed to tell people how to set their contrast levels, font sizes, etc. so that disabled people can actually read them, uses bloody grey text all over it!

http://www.ecru.co.uk/who-we-are/articles/web-accessibility-faq.html

Anyway, the LAW says:
    "Since December 1996 it has been unlawful to treat disabled people less favourably than other people for a reason related to their disability;
    Since October 1999 they have had to make reasonable adjustments for disabled people, such as providing extra help or making changes to the way they provide their services."

That means that you DON'T go out of your way to make your text impossible to see.

Perhaps you can write a short paper explaining why you went to such effort to make this website (and OSTicket) almost impossible to see...

I've had to waste hours going through all the CSS of OS Ticket, changing all your stupid grey text into black text, or dark red, or dark blue (there's a thought!), so that people can actually read it, and don't think I'm one of the arrogant idiots who makes these hard to read websites.
  • @bdw,
    First let me state that I'm am not a lawyer, and that osticket is a USA based entity.
    I personally do not believe your claims and statements that osticket.com is breaking the law to be true.
    I am not moved by your quoting summations of the UK Disability Discrimination Act (by the way the DDA was repealed and replaced by the Equality Act of 2010).
    I am not going to argue with you about this subject.
    I am not going to censor you. 
    I am not going to close your thread. 
    I personally believe that everyone has a right to their own feelings/beliefs, and that they have the right to freedom of speech.
    Truth be told I do feel for those who have disabilities. Point of fact I work for a non-profit agency which provides services to several disabled populations in the area where I live.

That being said, I direct you to the following:

How to use your own custom font colors on Firefox:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/change-fonts-and-colors-websites-use

How to change text size and color multiple browsers:
    http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/programs/atp/Resources/WebAccessibility/Pages/HowToChangeBrowserTextSizeorColors.aspx

Lastly, I'm sorry to hear that you feel that you had to waste hours to do something that literally takes a few seconds to change. Maybe if you had come here and in a polite manner and asked for help you would have had a better experience.

Q: How do I change the default text color in the osticket software?
    A: The client side default is 000 [see: /assets/default/css/theme.css line 18])?

Q: Would you consider changing the default text color on osticket.com from 777 to 000?
    A: I have no idea, but I will happy point this thread out to the devs so that they can decide if thats something that they want to do.

Q: Would you consider changing the default text color on osticket.com forum?
    A: The bulk of all text on the forums is already set to 000 [see http://osticket.com/forum/applications/dashboard/design/style.css?v=2.2.4 on line 92]

Have a great day!
  • bwdbwd
    edited March 2014
    "Lastly, I'm sorry to hear that you feel that you had to waste hours to do something that literally takes a few seconds to change."
    Really? So all the instances of grey text in the CSS, which have different values (depending on the whim of the designer at the time, to see if he could make it completely invisible or just almost invisible) only take seconds to change? Funny that. I've spent over an hour finding all the various instances of GREY text styles, and changing them to black. The 'client side default' - what are you talking about? Do you even understand how CSS works? All the OTHER styles use ridiculously light grey, because your 'designer' is a blind sheep who thinks it's 'cutting edge' to copy every other GREY website out there.
    The 'devs' who have made your website even LESS legible, are idiots, plain and simple. Still, carry on pissing off thousands of your users. Slashdot just did the same thing, with their 'beta' website, which most users hate, but still, they'd have to admit they were WRONG, and they'd rather go bankrupt than do that. What is it with you people?

NOBODY should have to change font colours on Firefox or anywhere else, because of your designer's bad decisions.

I wasn't talking about "the bulk of all text", but how typical of you to bring up a strawman argument. I was talking about the text that ISN'T set to #000, or didn't you bother reading what I actually wrote?
    i.e. the text that says "March 23" "Flag" and "Quote" is VIRTUALLY INVISIBLE. It is clearly in breach of the law, and whichever idiot decided to make it that light obviously doesn't care one hoot for other people.

Finally, why do all the .yaml files use inline styles, so that you have to manually go in and change EACH ONE, to make the text non-grey? This is yet another example of the insanity of this 'grey text' nonsense, you've even 'hard coded' it into individual files, rather than using CSS... Unbelievable.

For example:

<br>
        <br>
        <div style="color: rgb(127, 127, 127);">
        Your %{company.name} Team,<br>
        %{signature}
        </div>
        <hr>
        <div style="color: rgb(127, 127, 127); font-size: small; text-align: center;"
        ><em>We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. If
        not, please do not send another email. Instead, reply to this email or
        <a href="%{recipient.ticket_link}" style="color: rgb(84, 141, 212);" >login
        to your account</a> for a complete archive of all your support requests
        and responses.</em></div>

Why are you using <br> and not margins? Why aren't you using a <p> or <h2> or <h3> tag within the final div?

• edited March 2014
    Q: Really?
    A: Yes.

Q: So all the instances of grey text in the CSS ..[snipped to save space].. only take seconds to change?
    A: Yes, most text editors have search and replace functionality since circa forever.  Some (like Notepad++ can also do it on all files in a folder [including sub folders].

Q: what are you talking about?
    A: The osticket software default color on the client side is pre-dominantly black.  [see css file and line citation], coincidentally its also mostly black on the staff side also.  Since osTicket is open source you are free to modify it to suit your needs in anyway you see fit.  Please see the license.  Lastly I would add that the project is [slowly] moving in the direction of being more easy to theme and customize.

Q: Do you even understand how CSS works?
    A: Yes.

Q: What is it with you people?
    A: Could you please be more concise in defining what you mean by 'you people', I would like to make sure that you are properly categorizing me into your cultural stereotypes.

Q: I was talking about the text that ISN'T set to #000, or didn't you bother reading what I actually wrote?
    A: Yes, and my point is that all the important text [that people actually read] is already set to #000.

Q: Finally, why do all the .yaml files use inline styles, so that you have to manually go in and change EACH ONE, to make the text non-grey?
    A: Please see the answer to Q: So all the instances of grey text in the CSS ..[snipped to save space].. only take seconds to change?

@bwd said "It is clearly in breach of the law, and whichever idiot decided to make it that light obviously doesn't care one hoot for other people."

As you continue to make accusations like this I am going to invite you to have your legal counsel contact osticket.com directly. I personally find it a shame that you have decided to attack the people who provide this software, site, and forums for free. I will no longer be answering your posts here on the forums.
  • BWD, I'm no expert on CSS, but as a user and administrator of various forums I have to suggest that you indeed learn to constructively critisise, challenge and query without the use of derogatory nouns, or impolite rhetorical questions. Your tone does nothing to advance web standards nor encourage co operation amongst those working hard to help, you, for free! 
    Without the assistance of ntozier, and the law breaking, moronic, stupid, illiterate, "developers" at osTicket, there would no doubt be many more irate end users jumping up and down name calling all over the world. I for one applaud them for their ongoing work, which enables me to implement osTicket to manage medical equipment repair in a small and very poor country. 
    Please be mindful. Please be nice. Life will be much more pleasant.
  • Absolutely agree with Mart,

I come from the UK and am embarrassed that this person can be so rude and ignorant. If this issue was approached in an intelligent and polite manner, perhaps others would be more keen to help.

I can only apologise on behalf of my fellow countryman. I wish to reassure you that most of us here in the UK are educated with a basic set of manners, and have utmost respect and appreciation for the outstanding work you guys do.

I speak as a developer myself..

All the best,

Daily Oliver.

• :::SIGH:::

give someone something for nothing, and they will still complain...
  • Lol.... Someone in this guy's office tweaked his contrast, sat back and waited for the veins to start bulging.