Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Email quit working

Hello,

I'm running the current stable release (1.8.1)
I'm seeing no PHP error logs.
I've tried both phpMail functions or SMTP
Nothing has changed as far as polling the emails. 

I'm running a stock installation with no mods and all my software is up to date (I use centos 6).

The email address that mail goes to in order to warn that there is a new ticket in the system is not getting an email when a ticket is created by emailing email.address@ticket.system.com (replaced that email obviously).  We were using PHP's mail function, and that quit working, so I switched to SMTP and that worked for a while today, but now it's not working anymore. 

As I said, the php error log shows me nothing.  Anyone have any ideas or even know where to start?

Thanks,

Adam

Comments

• Have you checked your mail server logs?  [to see if the emails are being sent]
    Are you running any sort of firewall?  SeLinux?
    Please provide the settings that you are using in your email setup.

• No SeLinux.  No firewall.  Everything is the same and it's worked before.  The ONLY thing that's happened around the time it quit working was a postfix upgrade, but the other emails still work.  Every other email function in the system works. 

For example, if I transfer a ticket to someone, they get the email.  If there's a new message in a ticket thread, email is sent.  The only thing that quit working is the email that gets sent when a ticket is created by sending an email to the address that we have setup for osticket to check for tickets.

It wasn't working yesterday and it was using PHP's mail function.  I changed it to use SMTP for a bit and it worked for a while yesterday afternoon and then quit again.

Basically, we have a gmail account that the tech.help emails goto when someone enters a ticket.  We call cron.php every minute to check that mailbox to see if there's any new mail there.  It's worked great with no problems at all until yesterday.  It even worked after the upgrade to 1.8.1.

I'll be working on this all day - basically until it's fixed :)
  • By the way,

I'll add that I'm running Centos 6.5 with Apache and PHP and MySQL and all modules installed from RPM's.  Nothing special.  This VM is dedicated to osticket.  Everything is also up to date.
  • Sorry to keep adding to the thread, but one more thing.  There's nothing in the php error log either.
  • I just wanted to add that I am experiencing the exact same issue, this was since updating to the latest stable release last week.

I also seem to receive an error when email tickets are submitted whereby the phone field in the admin interface shows an error and does not load the ticket content: 
    Fatal error: Call to a member function getPhoneNumber() on a non-object in/home/themarej/public_html/helpdesk/include/class.ticket.phpon line 311
  • This is supposedly fixed.

Looks this is fixed in the source code at GitHub:https://github.com/osTicket/osTicket-1.8/pull/588/files You can patch this file yourself and it will work again.

But the fix does not work for me.
  • edited February 2014
    @owarrack this appers to be a different problem than that one that you are reporting.  You should see this thread for the description and solution to your problem. https://github.com/osTicket/osTicket-1.8/issues/526

@UATechServ then you have a different problem from the
    Fatal error: Call to a member function getPhoneNumber() on a non-object in/home/themarej/public_html/helpdesk/include/class.ticket.phpon line 311
    And you should start your own thread, with your own server information, and the error that you are getting.
  • @adam525
    To be clear your saying that only the "New Ticket Alerts" do not appear to be sending but other alerts are being sent?
  • edited February 2014
    Please humor me and

Check Admin panel -> Settings -> Alerts & Notices -> New Ticket Alert enabled?
    Whats checked?

Check Admin panel -> Settings -> Default Department
    note what set here.

Then go to Admin panel -> Staff -> Departments -> your default department
    under "Auto Response Settings" are is New Ticket checked? if so uncheck it.

Next go to Admin panel -> Manage -> Help Topics
    Check each and every Help topic is "Ticket auto-response:" checked? if so uncheck it.

Are you using Ticket Filters at all?  If yes or unsure:
    Go to Admin panel -> Manage -> Ticket Filters
    Check each and every ticket filter is "Ticket auto-response:" checked? if so uncheck it.

Lastly also check Admin panel -> Settings -> Autoresponder -> New Ticket and New Ticket by Staff make sure they are enabled.

@Peter and @Jared@osticket.com  isn't that a little excessive?  :P
  • I did everything above and it all checked out btw...
  • Hmmm.  So its been a while since I used any mail server other than Exchange (/shiver) but can you look at your mail servers (sendmail) logs and see if the email is actually being sent?  IT sounds like your mail is working like it should be... so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why just one alert is jumping off a cliff.
  • edited February 2014
    If I need to start a new thread, I will, but what I'm seeing on 1.8.1 is that emails work fine when alerting to existing tickets, etc. But when creating a new ticket, it's not getting the ticket number on time and thus not firing an email. Some sort of race condition I assume.

Thank you for contacting us.

A support ticket request #XXXXXX has been created and a representative will be getting back to you shortly if necessary.

Support Team

You''ll see that, then it will never fire the email, but will successfully create it.

• @dasunsrule32, the thank you page has looked like that and not handed out the ticket # out for quite some time. It was done on purpose to prevent the ticket # from being displayed to anyone as it would be a security violation.  This has been mentioned on the forums many times.  Example, I know that John.Doe@email.tld is a client of yours.  I go to your support site and enter that as an email.  If it displayed the ticket number I would now be able to log into your ticket system and have access to ALL John's previous tickets.
  • @ntozier Ok, maybe I just never noticed this before. I'm not 100% sure why emails are not being sent now when opening a ticket. Never had the issue before. I can send/receive test emails from within the interface, I get notifications when adding notes and closing tickets, etc, but when opening a new ticket, the notification doesn't fire.
  • It sounds like you are having the same problem as @adam525.  Perhaps we can compare the apache configurations and see if there is something in common that I don't have in my Apache config.
  • Okay so my phone number issue is fixed as per the patch in other article.... Thanks :@

Still also having the new ticket alert email issue and checked that all admin settings are correct. This has been working FINE for past 4 years and just stopped working with the latest upgrade. Other ticket alerts (back to the ticket creator) are working fine. It just appears to be the new ticket alert not working for admins. 
  • edited February 2014
    @ntozier here is the vhost for that site. I've never had issues until this update.

<VirtualHost *:80>
        <Directory "/usr/local/web/www/support">
            Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
            AllowOverride All
            Require all granted
        </Directory>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@tld.com
        DocumentRoot "/usr/local/web/www/support"
        ServerName support.tld.com
        ErrorLog "logs/support-error_log"
        CustomLog "logs/support-access_log" common
    </VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
        <Directory "/usr/local/web/www/support">
            Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
            AllowOverride All
            Require all granted
        </Directory>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@tld.com
        DocumentRoot "/usr/local/web/www/support"
        ServerName support.tld.com
        ErrorLog "logs/support-error_log"
        CustomLog "logs/support-access_log" common

SSLEngine on
        SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/web/apache2/conf/star.tld.com.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/web/apache2/conf/star.tld.com.key
    </VirtualHost>
  • I don't have this problem at all, so I can only assume that its something with your setups at this point.
    I have it working under IIS and Apache2.  Thanks for humoring me.  (ps are you using mod_rewrite or mod_redirect or other mods?)
  • I wasn't having issues with it either until this update. So I don't think this is an apache issue, it's an app issue and bug that was introduced in this version.

I'm running Apache 2.4.7 and PHP 5.5.9 on Debian 7.x. It's Apache compiled from source. I'm not running mod_redirect, only mod_rewrite. I have an .htaccess that simply redirects to SSL in the root of the site. Everything is very straight forward. Not running a proxy or anything. I'm using the SMTP connection to send out, works fine once the ticket is created, notes are sent out as should be and alerts, it's just the original ticket creation.

If you have some logging somewhere to enable, I can do that and get you a log when creating the initial ticket to really see what is going on if you'd like?

• I wasn't having issues with it either until this update. So I don't think this is an apache issue, it's an app issue and bug that was introduced in this version.
    If that's the case, then why would it work for me? 
    Three people have reported the problem and all three of you are using Apache (which is why I think that it might be apache related).

• I wasn't having issues with it either until this update. So I don't think this is an apache issue, it's an app issue and bug that was introduced in this version. If that's the case, then why would it work for me?  Three people have reported the problem and all three of you are using Apache (which is why I think that it might be apache related).
    What version of Apache/PHP are you using, first off?

Secondly, do you have some debugging to enable in the php files? I didn't see any in the open.php.
  • I'm not, I run IIS.

You would enable logging in PHP in your php.ini file.
  • edited February 2014
    I've gone ahead and enabled debug logging in apache and php as well, access log show nothing:

192.168.56.201 - - [28/Feb/2014:07:34:52 -0700] "GET /ajax.php/draft/ticket.client.v255fi805k44 HTTP/1.1" 205 33
    192.168.56.201 - - [28/Feb/2014:07:34:52 -0700] "POST /ajax.php/draft/ticket.client.v255fi805k44 HTTP/1.1" 200 16
    192.168.56.201 - - [28/Feb/2014:07:34:54 -0700] "GET /ajax.php/form/help-topic/47 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
    192.168.56.201 - - [28/Feb/2014:07:35:02 -0700] "POST /ajax.php/draft/394 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
    192.168.56.201 - - [28/Feb/2014:07:35:09 -0700] "POST /open.php HTTP/1.1" 200 3220

The error-log show nothing...

The PHP error reporting dumps nothing...
  • Is there any update to this issue that multiple OSTicket users seem to be experiencing since the latest release update?

Thanks!
  • I've not found a resolution...

I've been pouring through logs, etc.
  • edited March 2014
    @adam525: Please provide web server software/version, PHP version.

@owarrack please provide information about your system.

I've asked the devs to take a look at this. But would like to be able to provide them a list of os, webserver. php versions numbers.
  • @ntozier

System: Linux os-server-web-1 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.54-2 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    PHP: 5.5.9 (from source)
    Apache: 2.4.7 (from source)
  • @dasunsrule32 you had already provided that.  I Was asking the other two people that reported this to post theirs. :)  But thanks.

Also a side note someone else (@Tutmos) reported the same thing.  I've asked him to post the same things to this thread.
  • Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-59-generic-pae
    mysql  Ver 14.14
    PHP 5.3.10
    Apache 2.2.22
    Sendmail can send emails
    osticket upgraded from v1.6
    osticket does send emails about, replies to tickets, even sends info about system errors ( i did a test in mysql to see if it emails me the db errors. it does)
  • forgot to mention that the only thing it doesn't send emails about are the new ticket alerts
This discussion has been closed.