Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Web server and MySQL on different servers

Hello,

I am installing this at my work place to see if we like it and have a question:

We have our web server and MySQL on different servers. Would osTicket be able to connect to it still even though it is on different servers? if not, is there a way to get it to work?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• phantomofrussia;25658 said:
    Hello,

I am installing this at my work place to see if we like it and have a question:

We have our web server and MySQL on different servers. Would osTicket be able to connect to it still even though it is on different servers? if not, is there a way to get it to work?

thanks in advance!
    why not, when you install it he ask you about mysql host, default is typed localhost but there you put your host or ip where is your mysql db.
  • abis;25660 said:
    why not, when you install it he ask you about mysql host, default is typed localhost but there you put your host or ip where is your mysql db.
    That is what I thought but wanted to be sure before I go ahead and install it.

Thanks!
  • in the installation I put in the info for the SQL database but it keeps saying it can not connect to it. Where do i setup on the SQL server that it will grant access for osTicket to connect to it? I have tried using the root account but it still does not let me in. Could it be the windows server blocking connection?

sorry to keep bugging you guys about this.
  • The answer to that question is largely dependent on the host OS and version of MySQL that you are running. However I'm pretty sure all versions have a CLI included.

on my windows server its Start -> All Programs -> MySQL -> MySQL Server 5.1 -> MySQL Command ling client

on my Linux box I access it via terminal. Something like:

$ mysql -u root -p

Regardless of which way you get here its essentially the same from this point forward.

First thing we need to do is create the Database that OSTicket is going to live in.
    mysql> CREATE DATABASE tickets;

note: you may and should change "tickets" above to whatever you want it to be.

Next we need to create a user and give it access to the Database we just made.

mysql> GRANT ALL ON tickets.* TO username@hostname IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

note[1]: once again change "tickets" above to match whatever you used in the step before this.
    note[2]: change "username" to whatever you want the username to be.
    note[3]: change "hostname" to the FQDN of the machine the scripts reside on. (in a windows environment you can utilize the hostname/netBIOS name.)
    note[4]: make sure you change "password" to something real.

Lastly run the following command:

mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

This will force MySQL to reload Privileges from the grants table in MySQL.

Once you have done all this, you can go and run the installer for OSTicket. You will utilize what we set above (which if you didn't change anything [AND YOU SHOULD CHANGE THINGS]) would be:

MySQL servername: hostname
    MySQL database name: tickets
    MySQL username: username
    MySQL password: password

Good luck.
  • followed all of that but it is still telling me when I click install:
    "Unable to connect to MySQL server. Possibly invalid login info."

MySQL Table Prefix I left default
    MySQL Hostname: Put in the IP address of the server MySQL is installed on
    MySQL Database: name of the database I created following your steps
    MySQL Username: username I created
    MySQL password: password i created

I am using MySQL 5.5
  • Anything in the error logs? (php error log specifically). You also might want to check the MySQL error logs on the remote server also.

It could be a firewall issue.
    It could be a password issue.
    It could be MySQL isn't setup to listen on the port your trying to hit.
  • So I finally got it working. Wanted to say thank you for the help.

The problem was the name of the database. When I created it I had some some capital letters in it. Well, since I am new to MySQL, I had no idea that it was make them all lowercase and then when I typed the database name how I first wrote it. It would not connect since the two database names did not match....I was banging my head at that point....

thanks again for the help.
  • Glad to be of assistance, and glad that you got it working!

Thanks for posting your solution here on the off chance that someone else encounters a similar issue.

Happy ticketing!